Forum Bugs

Restricted to adding only two documents at a time - painful

bizguy72
Hi,

I am running Prince on a Windows XP Box. I notice that when I add documents to be converted that I can only add two documents for processing at any one time.

ie. Let's say I have the following files under "c:\mydir\"

'File1.html'
'File2.html'
'File3.html'
'File4.html'
'File5.html'

Using Prince, if I try to add all 5 documents at once - either by the icon or the 'Documents' menu - it doesn't work.....I highlight all 5 documents and click "Open"...and nothing happens; I'm just returned to a blank documents windows in the application.

To get these file in for processing I have to do the following:

1. First add documents 'File1.html' and 'File2.html'
(these appear in the prince document window)

2. then add documents 'File3.html' and 'File4.html'
(these appear in the prince document window along with the first two)

3. then add document 'File5.html'
(added to prince document window along with other files).

So basically, it takes me three separate iterations in this example just to add the 5 files ready for processing.

One of my directories has 70+ html files in it so currently it means I would have to perform 35+ separate iterations of adding the document.
mikeday
That's strange, when we test it on XP we can select more than two documents, usually by pressing Ctrl-A we can select all the documents in the folder.

If you have many documents to process, it may be easier to run Prince from the command-line from a batch file or some other program or script to call Prince for each document, especially if you need to convert them often.
bizguy72
mikeday wrote:
That's strange, when we test it on XP we can select more than two documents, usually by pressing Ctrl-A we can select all the documents in the folder.

Hey Mike,

I tested it on another PC - my notebook, also running XP - and this time I can only add three files at a time. I can Ctrl-A and select all documents no problems (on both PC's) but it's when I then click on 'Open'....none of the file names are returned back into the 'Documents' pane in the application.

In your test, how many documents were you able to select and 'Open' back into the 'Documents' pane? Can you try it with say selecting 10 documents at once.

And yes, I could run the command line version via script etc. but it would be nice if I could just do it all from the GUI
:P

Thanks

Adam

P.S. My notebook P.C. is running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
mikeday
Ah, it seems to depend upon the total length of the filenames, so you can select multiple short names, or only a few very long ones. How annoying! We will fix this issue in the next release.
bizguy72
mikeday wrote:
Ah, it seems to depend upon the total length of the filenames, so you can select multiple short names, or only a few very long ones. How annoying! We will fix this issue in the next release.

OK Mike, good that we got to the bottom of it....do you have a timeframe on the next release?

Thanks
Adam
mikeday
Very soon, hopefully early next week.
bizguy72
mikeday wrote:
Very soon, hopefully early next week.

Great! Thanks Mike, I'll keep an eye out for it.
mikeday
Today we have released Prince 6.0 rev 8, which fixes this issue with the Windows GUI.
bizguy72
Yep, I can confirm that this has been fixed - thanks very much! :D