Forum How do I...?

How do I stretch a text (font) by a certain percentage?

massifr
I need to stretch some text and I'd need to stretch it by a certain percentage (90%, for example).

I think the font-stretch property works looking for a font variant representing the same font family at a different stretch.

What I need is not to select a font variant, but to scale the text horizontally. In PDF it is simple, since it means composing the CTM (current transformation matrix) with the one representing the x-scaling.
But how do I tell prince to do that in terms of CSS?
mikeday
CSS has no mechanism for arbitrarily scaling text horizontally, you need to select a condensed font with the font-stretch property, or use SVG, which allows you to apply any transformation matrix to text or shapes.
massifr
Are you going to implement it as a non-standard CSS property (using a different name)?

It's quite a common feature in DTP, like pseudo-italic (skewing), pseudo-bold (with glyph borders).

It would not be the first one, you had to introduce other non-standard properties and functions (cmyk() or hyphenation related ones) for other purposes.

The SVG solution is not feasible, since I need a stretched font for normal text, not for a single line, like a title. Only a small bunch of fonts have variants at different stretches (Helvetica has them, Garamond has not, as far as I know).

Anyway thanks for the clarification.
mikeday
Prince 7.0 will support pseudo-italic and pseudo-bold when real font variants are not available. It might make sense to add pseudo-stretch as well when real condensed or expanded fonts are not available, but this feature will need to wait for a future release. (Note that in most cases a real font will look better than a synthesized one).
jim_albright
Would adding inter word space or tracking accomplish what you want?

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

massifr
jim_albright wrote:
Would adding inter word space or tracking accomplish what you want?

No, it would not, because I need to make the font a 30% narrower (it's the stretch amount of a condensed font, which is about 75% of its regular version); it's too much for a word space/tracking solution: glyphs would overlap.
jim_albright
I totally understand why tracking wouldn't work. Can you use a smaller font size? Probably not.

Jim Albright

massifr
I am working on a rotated index of terms. If you don't know what it is, here's an example:

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/98Thesaurus/vol2.pdf

The NASA index is in two columns. My terms are a bit longer than the NASA ones, so stretching the font would be a way to reduce the number of terms split in two lines.

Without stretching, the solutions are:
- pass to a one-column format, nearly doubling the index length in pages and getting pages with a lot of blank space
- reduce the font size, as you prompted, but reducing readability too
jim_albright
So will humans actually print this out?

If it is online shouldn't you hotlink term?

If not printed then the number of pages is not an issue.

Jim Albright