Forum How do I...?

footnotes and cross-references

jim_albright
How can I have both footnotes and cross-reference both at the bottom of the page but each in its own container? Eventually I would want each to contain inline content.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

mikeday
What kind of cross-references? In a page float?
jim_albright
u HEBREW TITLE: A psalm by David; a lament. v One ancient translation a strong fortress; Hebrew to go always you commanded. w Some ancient translaions protected; Hebrew unclear.
69:21 Mt 27.48; Mk 15.36; Lk 23.26; Jn 19.28-29. 69.22-23 Ro 11.9-10. 69.25 Ac 1.20. 69.28 Ex 32.32; Rev 3.5; 13.8; 17.8.

Found on bottom of page 639 Good News Bible.

Jim Albright

mikeday
Right, but what is the markup? Can you use "float: bottom" to achieve this?
jim_albright
float bottom does achieve putting footnotes and cross-references in two groups at the bottom.

cross-references
footnotes

The standard that I am trying to copy is the Good News Bible that has

footnotes
cross-references

It looks like I would like to float the cross-references to the bottom of the footnote area. Is that possible?

I guess I could tell it to put cross-references in footnote area and float footnotes to page bottom. I would still like to be able to add a rule above the footnotes.

Jim Albright

Edited by jim_albright

jim_albright
I still will want to have inline footnotes and cross-references. I see that if I put the cross-references in the footnote area and ask for them to be inline (7.1) that would work but the footnotes then would still lack the ability to be inline at bottom of page.

Jim Albright

jim_albright
I'm looking for another named area that can be placed at page bottom. Is there one? Can I do a named area and position it?

Jim Albright

mikeday
At the moment there is only the bottom page margin box. There will be other options for positioning named flow areas in the future, but it's going to have to wait until 7.0 is settled.
jim_albright
I'm working on another project to publish Bibles. The lack of inline footnotes is still a serious problem.

Jim Albright

mikeday
This has been added to the latest GCPM draft (see section 5.1) and is still on our roadmap, so we will get to it eventually. Sorry for the delay. :)
jim_albright
I really like the examples in the GCPM. I tend to learn best by seeing examples rather than the formal definitions in specs. Eventually I will need to specify more than the 1 footnote area. I will need one footnote area for cross-references and another for notes. But getting the inline property will make it much better if we have to mix the two.

I think we already have a place for side notes (float:left), if not that is the other one needed. For now I will skip the center-column cross-reference with its complexities.

Thanks for working on these.

Jim Albright

jim_albright
I've been showing results of Prince formatting Bibles to Biblica ... formerly International Bible Society. They are very interested but getting inline footnotes is essential. Having the footnotes stack is a great waste of space. Sample from NIV 2011 Mark.

Jim Albright

1. NIV-2011-MRK.png55.8 kB
mikeday
Inline footnotes are now available in Prince 9, and also some other footnote improvements like the ability to absolutely position the @footnotes area, which can be handy for side footnotes. Thanks for your patience. :)