Forum Bugs

Sizing of margin-boxes when some boxes are empty

jarmar
Hi!

I experimented a bit with margin-boxes and noticed that if you use @top-center and precisely one of @top-left and @top-right together, the left/right box will have a width of zero. If you add the complement @top-side rule, even with an empty string as content, the initial @top-side box becomes visible. The same goes for @bottom- boxes, but not @left- or @right-. Example: https://gist.github.com/3295642

(I was initially going to post this in feature requests, but then I noticed it doesn't happen with @left- or @right-)

I tried to understand the working draft but came to the conclusion that it is contradictory. Point 2 states that the other two boxes should have the same outer width, but point 3 states that an empty box should have a zero outer width, and I guess Prince goes by the latter with empty boxes.

I would like to suggest that Prince handle this in the same way with non-existent margin boxes as with specified empty margin boxes. The examples of margin boxes in the working draft suggests that behaviour, too.

Thanks,
Jakob
mikeday
Thanks, this is a bug in Prince 8.1 that will be fixed in the next release.
mikeday
This bug has been fixed in Prince 9, available now. Thanks for letting us know about this issue.