Forum News

Prince 8.0 released!

mikeday
Today we are pleased to announce the final release of Prince 8.0, now available for download.

The major new feature in this release is JavaScript support, which can be used to transform documents prior to conversion.

Other changes include improvements to CSS, SVG, fonts and internationalization, performance, and many minor bug fixes. Full details are available in the release notes.

Many thanks to everyone that has provided feedback during the beta period. Your comments and suggestions have helped us to make Prince as good as it can be. :D
jim_albright
Congratulations on a fine product and another milestone. Now to start using all those new features!

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

glen
Is this available as a DLL for use in a .NET application? All I can find on the site is a DLL package called prince-dotnet-r6.zip, with an older DLL.

Thanks,
Glen
mikeday
Actually the DLL version is independent of the Prince version; you need to install Prince, and install the DLL. Sorry for the confusion!
glen
I guess my problem is that the DLL available is not at version 8.
mikeday
The DLL is just a wrapper that calls Prince, and the latest version of the DLL is r6, which should work fine with the latest version of Prince, which is 8.0.
carl johnson
Congratulations!

Playing around with it, I noticed that the way to do footnotes changed from float: prince-column-footnote to just float: footnote. Any other CSS changes I should be aware of?

Thanks for all the hard work!
mikeday
You can still use "prince-column-footnote", which will behave differently to "footnote" when used in a multi-column layout. The release notes have more details on what has changed.
carl johnson
I did some playing around. It used to be that prince-column-footnote would work even if the layout was single column, so I just had it permanently set that way in the CSS, and I had a separate class for how many columns were needed that I set on a per-document basis. Now, prince-column-footnote only works if the layout is multicolumn. With a unicolumn layout, it apparently just hides the footnotes. I'll just tweak my CSS a little to work with this.
pronik
Hi Mike, any estimate on 8.1 release? I suppose things marked off as done on the roadmap are going in and CSS3 transformations look really juicy :)
mikeday
We're getting there, the time between 8.0 and 8.1 will be shorter than between 7.1 and 8.0. :)
mikeday
Prince 8.1 is now (finally) available! And it fixes the issue where column footnotes would disappear if there were no columns, among other things. :)
pronik
That's great news, Mike, congratulations! However, I still have the packaging problems with SuSE 64-bit packages described here: viewtopic.php?p=13258#p13258. Any chance you could compile the 64-bit packages using the same libraries as the 32-bit package? It's the same OS after all :-)
jim_albright
Congratuations!!! There never are enough bells to ring for milestone achieved.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

jbzech
Is there a list of new features or changes for 8.1? Or is this release all bug fixes?
mikeday
The release notes have more details.
mikeday
pronik, can you make a new post describing the library issues for Prince 8.1 on 64-bit OpenSUSE? I would like to take a look at it, but I'm not 100% sure which libraries and versions are involved, and the existing forest of forum posts on the topic is a bit confusing. :)
pronik
mikeday, will do!