Forum How do I...?

CMYK Output

jsweetman
Hi

I think I remember seeing somewhere that you could specify CMYK colours in the style sheets for Prince and Prince also seems to be handling the CMYK tiff images that we are using very well. However, the final pdf produced is in RGB format. Is there any way of telling Prince to output a CMYK format pdf?

Failing that does anyone know an easy way of converting a RGB pdf to CMYK?

Cheers!

<><

mikeday
In the Prince 6.0 alpha version it is possible to specify CMYK colors explicitly in your style sheets, like this: cmyk(1.0, 0.5, 0, 0). However, Prince will not convert RGB colors or RGB images into CMYK colors or images.
jsweetman
Right - so if I specify CMYK colours does that mean it will produce a CMYK output? What happens if some colours are RGB and some are CMYK? Or does that produce an error?

Thanks for your help!

<><

mikeday
At the moment, Prince 6.0 will embed colors in the PDF file exactly as they are specified. So, RGB colors in the CSS will stay as RGB colors in the PDF. If the CSS contains a mixture of RGB and CMYK colors then it is possible to create a PDF file containing some RGB colors and some CMYK colors. However, some printing workflows may require that all colors in the PDF are CMYK.
jsweetman
OK - that sounds excellent, thanks for your help.

<><

StoneCypher
The PDF format, arguably a descendant of EPS, can support multiple color models in the same document simultaneously. As of this writing, PDF supports RGB, CMYK, LAB, HSB, HSV, YPbPr, YUV, and YU'V', all with or without an alpha channel. I remain unaware of a PDF decoder (that is, not Prince, but the viewer or printing application) which supports any color model for embedded images other than RGB or CMYK (or RGBA or CMYKA.)

What Prince does I don't know, but to worry about mixed color models in PDF output is a non-issue.

John Haugeland is http://fullof.bs/

mikeday
Today we have released Prince 6.0 rev 7, which includes support for CMYK TIFF and JPEG images.