Forum Bugs

prince runs extremely slow on my macbook pro

alexmac
I've been using prince on linux for a while now and it seems like a great product, however I recently bought one the the new macbook pros and using prince on it is incredibly slow.

The same 80 page document that takes 3 seconds to create on linux takes 2 minutes on osx (and it also manages to use 100% of one of my cores, making my mac rather hot)

This really hurts the usefulness of prince and means I'm forever sending files back and forth between my mac and my linux box for the processing.

I can't provide you with the actual document but if it is something that hasn't been experienced before I can probably try and make a new document with dummy text in it that exhibits the same problem.
mikeday
This is probably because your new Mac has an Intel processor, while the current Prince package for MacOS X includes a PowerPC binary that will be running under emulation with a significant drop in speed. The solution is for us to release a new Prince package for Intel/x86 MacOS X, or a single package with a universal binary. I've added this issue to the roadmap and we will try to fix it for a future release of Prince.
alexmac
I justr tried it out agin in the leopard beta and it runs in about 24 seconds, which is a lot better than in tiger but still far from what it will be when you compile a native version.
mikeday
We have now released Prince 6.0 rev 3, which includes a MacOS X package with a universal binary that should run much faster on Intel Macs.
alexmac
I've tried out the new version and its now just as fast on osx as on linux, thanks!