Forum How do I...?

Float to a corner or side of the page

heycam
Hi.

Is it possible to float an element to one of the four corners of the page, or to the middle of the left or right side of the page? For example, like the following:

BBBBBBBB FFF      BBBBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBB FFF      BBBBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBB FFF      BBBBBBBB FFF
BBBBBBBBBBBB  or  BBBBBBBB FFF
BBBBBBBBBBBB      BBBBBBBB FFF
BBBBBBBBBBBB      BBBBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBBBBBB      BBBBBBBBBBBB

where B is my body element and F is my floated element. Basically, I'd like float: top right or float: middle right to work. :-) Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks,

Cameron
mikeday
No, not yet. There are various tricks and hacks to achieve this layout for a particular page, but arbitrary content can only be floated to the left or right of its normal position, or to the top and bottom of the page. The CSS working group is investigating more flexible layout options for the future.
heycam
OK thanks.
jim_albright
I'll be wanting this flexibility also. Especially in study Bibles there are various floats desired.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

web559
Are there any updates on this for Prince 8 or the future? I've been trying to find info on whether something like float: top-right (or top-left/bottom-right/bottom-left) is possible—or whether there are workarounds.

For example, a print publication I am trying to adapt to Prince always includes a table of contents with a variable height, but always floated to the right and bottom of a page.

I'd be very interested to hear if there's any development on this, or if anyone has CSS workarounds.