Forum Feature requests

Hanging punctuation

heycam
Hi. I don't particularly need it, but it would be nice if Prince supported the 'hanging-punctuation' property from css3-text, so I could get nicer looking margins with my hyphenated, justified text. I didn't notice it on the roadmap.

Thanks,

Cameron
jim_albright
Is the optical margin feature what you want? It is on the roadmap.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

heycam
Ah indeed, I didn't search for that term in the roadmap. Thanks!
jim_albright
Don't worry. I didn't even know the term, just that my graphic artist really wanted the punctuation to hang into the margin. I could not do it with Ventura Publisher in the early 90s.

Other recent terms added to my vocabulary, and to Prince Roadmap: kashida, swashes[done], Arabic subtending marks, inline footnotes, graphite font tables, and CSS3 Transforms.

Jim Albright

_savage
Is this working now? Can I enable "margin kerning" or "hanging punctuation"? It seems to be on the roadmap still, and not yet implemented...

Edited by _savage

mikeday
Not yet, sorry. We've had too many other things to do. :(
_savage
And in Prince 9? :)
mikeday
Sorry, blame JavaScript, and other features. :)
jim_albright
Glad to see others requesting this feature.

Jim Albright

_savage
@mikeday: Will do :) (But where's the connection to Javascript?)

@Jim: Yes. Loved having it in LaTeX and it does make a visual difference. It would be a subtle improvement, but I think also profound on the overall readability.
mikeday
I mean JavaScript has taken most of our development time recently. :)
dauwhe
We're of course very interested in this. And it's part of CSS3-Text, which is now in last call.

Dave
_savage
I didn't want to open a new question because I have a feeling what the answer might be :-) The question seems to sort-of fit into this thread of a more exotic type setting request.

Does Prince currently support typographical creeps? Or will it in the future?
mikeday
Haven't heard of that one before. We don't have any support for this; we would probably prefer that it be done at the PDF printing level. :)
adriencater
@_savage : creep is something you really want to have handled on the RIP/Printer end of the chain – adjustments will vary depending on paper thickness etc. – it wouldn't make any sense (and would probably be detrimental) for Prince to handle this. If you are having documents professionally printed and bound, the printer will be able to handle this in their RIP, and all you need to do is make sure your bleeds are sufficient...