Forum Bugs

Is there a file size limit for an input file?

anthonyn
We are getting an error "internal error: unexpected_eofTue Sep 21 11:28:03 2010: ---- end" when processing an html file within prince. The file we are processing could be larger than 70M. Is there a file size limit that we are running into with this or should we be looking for some other issue?

The html appears to be ending correctly when viewed in a text editor.
mikeday
This error will only occur when there is some kind of character encoding problem, and should not be caused by the size of the input file. Would it be possible for you to email me a sample document that triggers the problem?
brentl999
The sample file is on our FTP site. Michael I have emailed you details to access the file for your analysis. Thank you.
brentl999
Just wrapping up this thread. We were getting a out of memory condition that was not obvious. So it is fair to say that with very large files there can be limitations in generating Prince PDF output depending on available RAM. And, an out of memory error may not be reported in the log. In our case, systems with 1.5GB of available RAM could Not generate the document, systems with greater than 2GB could. Note, this was a very large document, I believe it was some 3500 pages!
yellottyellott
Did you notice any other quirks with memory? I can render the first half of a report and the second half of a report fine, but together I keep hitting a segfault. It's about 150,000 lines of html and the 2 sections render in 343 and 449 pages by themselves.

EYELLOTT-IMAC:Desktop eyellott$ prince -v test.html -o out.pdfprince: Loading document...
prince: loading XML input: test.html
Segmentation fault: 11
EYELLOTT-IMAC:Desktop eyellott$

I have 8 gigs of RAM on my local machine. It seems like I'm running some sort of buffer out.
mikeday
Prince is a 32-bit program on MacOS X, so it can't use more than 2 or 3 gigs of RAM. However, if the document is under 1000 pages then I would have expected it to work even then. Are you able to email me this document (mikeday@yeslogic.com) or perhaps another document of similar size that can reproduce the problem? That would help us to investigate the issue and see if there is some way to change the document or change Prince to use less memory.