Forum How do I...?

What's been your biggest challenge with PrinceXML?

Webnet
My company is considering switching from PrintNet/GMC to PrinceXML and while we're going through each options there are some things that have stuck out, the biggest is the concern by not seeing a phone number listed on the PrinceXML web site. My boss is concerned that we might not be able to get timely support when needed.

But I'm also wondering, there are a lot of requirements we have in regards to orphans/widows, hypenated word control, etc.

What's been the biggest challenge for you in working with Prince... how were you able to overcome it?
mikeday
We prefer to use email and this web forum to provide timely support to customers in multiple timezones; once Prince is set up and working properly it generally keeps on doing so. :)

Prince does have some support for control of page breaking, including widows and orphans, and hyphenation, but we would be happy to take a look at any specific requirements you have, or you could download Prince and try it out on your documents.
Webnet
Mike,

If we did have a critical issue, you're saying we would have to use email, even with a support contract we wouldn't be able to call?
mikeday
We don't provide 24 hour phone support, no. I am posting this message at 10pm on a Friday night though, if that's any indication of our responsiveness. :)
dauwhe
The program itself seems extremely robust--it's never stopped working for us in two years. And the support on the forum is great. I don't have any concerns about that.
jim_albright
The support via forum and email is super. I don't know when Mike actually sleeps. But even when he does there are others of us who monitor the forum.

My biggest challenge is having to wait for a feature to be added. Our requirements are very demanding in order to publish a Bible. I just figured out how to do a diglot. I am waiting for the ability to have inline footnotes. That is the only thing holding me back from giving total approval for publishing Bibles. If you are doing right-to-left and you need to justify text, then you will have to wait for kashidas also. Both of these are on the to do list. Prince XML flat out works!!!!!!!!!! And they keep improving it.

They added TeX hyphenation at my request. It is already there and working.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

StoneCypher
What is an inline footnote?

John Haugeland is http://fullof.bs/

jim_albright
If you look at a Bible like the Good News ... you will see a line of Scripture references in footnotes across the page... Something like.

f Gen 1.4; Mark 12.12 g 2Ch 3.4 h Job 16--18

which takes up one line as opposed to

f Gen 1.4; Mark 12.12
g 2Ch 3.4
h Job 16--18

which takes up three lines. The former are called inline footnotes. The latter are called stacking footnotes to the best of my knowledge.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators