Forum How do I...?

Installing Prince on Linux with no access to command line.

Frank
I am using a shared server and do not have access to the command line. The server is Linux x86_64 and uses Apache 2.2.17. PHP is version 5. I am not yet aware of font availability on the server. I can upload ttf fonts and point to them with css.

Should I be able to install the Linux generic version 7.1 of Prince without access to the command line? So far I haven't been successful in using the PHP wrapper - I don't believe prince is running at all. (I have successfully used a similar wrapper for docraptor.) Perhaps the problems are due to the font pointers being incorrect since I could not use install.sh from the command line.

The Windows version of Prince works perfectly on my desktop, but I would like to use Prince on my server if possible.

I've read all of the related threads, but haven't come up with a good solution yet.

Thank you.

Edited by Frank

Frank
Here is the PHP I am using:
<?
require_once ('/home/soldier/public_html/prince/prince.php');
$prince = new Prince('/home/soldier/public_html/prince/bin/prince');
$prince->setHTML(1);
?>

Edited by Frank

mikeday
How did you install it if you cannot run the install script? Did you just unpack one of the Linux tar files at that location?
Frank
Yes. I unpacked the Linux 7.1 version (prince-7.1-linux.tar.gz) and uploaded the directories to a folder I named prince.

I was hoping that paths would work on a relative basis. I knew I would have to deal with the fonts.... Perhaps other stuff too?

I don't know enough about Linux to know whether there is any chance this will work.

Thanks for your support Mike.

Frank
mikeday
Perhaps you could try using PHP exec to run Prince, just to confirm that it is running at all? If you can run it, then you could call $prince->setLog() and specify a writable file to check any error messages.
Frank
I'll give it a shot Mike.

I am glad to hear that you think it could or should run without actually installing it from the command line.

Frank