Forum Bugs

OpenSuSE 11 x86_64 packages

pronik
It seems that the 64-bit package for OpenSuSE 11 differs from its 32-bit counterpart. In particular, it's built with OpenSSL 1.0.0 instead of 0.9.8 and with libpng14 instead of libpng12. Even though both versions are available in OpenSuSE 11, only the lower-versioned ones are available in SLES11, which I'm required to be compatible to (which I could until now with 32-bit versions).

Is it possible to recompile that one package with libpng12 and openssl 0.9.8 as dependencies? Thanks!
pronik
Don't like to nag, but a reply of any kind on the issue would be nice. Thanks!
mikeday
Sorry for the delay, I will take a look at this. I'm not sure why the libraries differ between versions, or whether it will be easier to change the libraries installed for openSUSE 11, or build a Prince package specifically for SLES11.
pronik
Thanks, really appreciate this!
mikeday
It seems difficult to use the older libraries on openSUSE 11. In particular, the curl library for this distribution is built against the newer version of OpenSSL. This appears to be an incompatibility between openSUSE and SLES that would require a separate package specifically for SLES, which is annoying, as I was hoping that supporting openSUSE would be sufficient to cover both.
pronik
mikeday wrote:
It seems difficult to use the older libraries on openSUSE 11. In particular, the curl library for this distribution is built against the newer version of OpenSSL. This appears to be an incompatibility between openSUSE and SLES that would require a separate package specifically for SLES, which is annoying, as I was hoping that supporting openSUSE would be sufficient to cover both.

Thank you for your effort. I wonder however, how it's possible for 32-bit packages to use one version of a library and an another for 64-bit inside the same distribution. Is OpenSuSE really that broken? ;-)