Forum How do I...?

Alignment of column footnote area

yet
See attached PDF file.

The footnotes under each column are aligned with the bottom to the bottom of the main
content area. Is it possible to the two footnote areas within one page with each other (the horizontal rule
above each footnote section should be aligned.

The CSS is the following:

<style type="text/css">
.content {
column-count: 2;
text-align: justify;
margin-bottom: 2em;
font-family: Verdana, Arial;
}

@page {
@footnotes {
border-top: 1px solid black;
padding-top: 0.77em;
margin-top: 1em;
}
}

.fn {
counter-increment: footnote;
float: prince-column-footnote; /* THAT'S THE TRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! */
font-size: 0.75em;
margin-left: 3em;
color: blue;
}

.fn::footnote-call {
content: "[" counter(footnote) "]";
font-size: 83%;
vertical-align: super;
}

</style>
  1. index.pdf30.2 kB
jim_albright
Something to look at: The registration near the bottom of the page seems to be off. I would guess that the footnote callers are changing the line height.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

yet
jim_albright wrote:
Something to look at: The registration near the bottom of the page seems to be off. I would guess that the footnote callers are changing the line height.

What do you mean with registration?
jim_albright
sem. Cras nibh.

on the right column looks to be about 2pt lower than corresponding line in left column
Duis sagittis dignissim eros. In sit

Some people don't worry about this at all and others REQUIRE alignment across columns and also backing page.
With thin paper [as used in Bibles] the print from the reverse side can cause some confusion to new readers as they see the text on the reverse along with the text they should be reading.

The first rule that I learned about typesetting is that you can break any rule. Just make sure you know the rule and why you are breaking it.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

mikeday
We will take a look at this issue. It may be awkward in general, as one column with more footnotes could lead to wasted space in the other column. How about using regular page footnotes instead?