Forum How do I...?

Blockquote behavior in sidebars. Please help.

wordnerd
What I’m trying to do:
Sidebars on the outside margins of pages.
Sidebars will contain multiple block-quotes that are usually less than a page long, but not always.
Here's the extent of what I've done so far:
needHelp.pdf‎

Constraints on how I'd like the block-quotes to split between pages: :
  • Don’t split the block-quotes between pages unless the block is longer than a page.
  • If longer than a page begin block at the top its page.

Problems I’m having:
  • The block-quotes sometimes overlap, with one beginning before another ends.
  • In an attempt to layout the block-quotes correctly, the layout engine is shifting paragraphs of core book text to new pages needlessly.
  • I’d like to get page numbers all the way out to the actual corners of the page (above the outside margins).

My experience level:
I’ve been learning just enough css to layout my book. I usually hack things together and if they work, I move on with a feeling of confidence that only ignorance can achieve. I have done other kinds of programming though so I’m not totally lost, and will usually be able to solve my problems if someone points me in the right direction.

I have two options right now. I can either proceed with the sidebar layout, or give up and put all the block-quotes into their own chapter. If the sidebar layout is going to be a headache, I’m willing to take the other option.

My Questions:
  • Is what I’m trying to do in my sidebars is really do-able, given my constraints?
  • If do-able, is it difficult, or easy?
  • If it’s easy would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction with regard to the necessary css? I've found a smattering of discussions on sidebars in the forum but none that really seem to solve my problems. If I've missed something let me know.

@media print
{
	blockquote.humor
	{
		float: outside;
		clear:outside;
		margin-outside: -5cm;
		width:3.7cm;
		margin-left:0;
		margin-right:0;
		background-color:white;
		border-style:none;

page-break-inside:avoid;
	}
}

1. needHelp.pdf147.7 kB
mikeday
I'm confident that this isn't easy, given the constraints that you've listed. Ideally it would be possible, but some investigation will be needed in order to confirm or deny that. So I would suggest investigating alternative arrangements, in the meantime. :)
wordnerd
mikeday wrote:
I'm confident that this isn't easy,..... I would suggest investigating alternative arrangements.... :)

Thanks for saving me a lot of frustration.
Much appreciated!