Forum How do I...?

Possible to join PDFs?

m.hansen
I am investigating purchasing PrinceXML for my company. It is a very cool solution and is a great answer to most of our needs.

The one issue remaining is dealing with attachments. I know that it is possible to use the --attach option; I have tried this and it works fine. However, it seems like most PDF readers don't understand that attachments are possible and simply provide no way to see them (Preview on Mac OS X, Document Viewer on Ubuntu). And even when using Acrobat Reader one needs to know that there are attachments and go look for them in order to see them.

All the attachments I want to add are PDFs, and they are actually Appendixes to the file that I am creating. What I would ideally like to do is to merge the file that I create with PrinceXML with the other PDFs and preferably have the headers and footers on these Appendixes as well.

Is this possible, and if not do you know which tool I can use in addition to PrinceXML?
mikeday
Prince cannot do this by itself, as it cannot load PDF files, only save them. Other tools can combine multiple PDF files into one; search for "PDF concatenate", or "PDF merge" for references.
meowist
I have Prince 9 and am wondering if this feature has somehow been added to v9 or v10--I need to insert a second PDF as the first page of PDFs I generate with Prince.

Thanks!
mikeday
No not yet, but many PDF processing tools can do this, like pdftk.
meowist
Thanks Mike, I'll check out pdftk