Forum How do I...?

Yet another no glyphs for character question

henrik
Hello!

I have a problem with special characters in pdf files. I tried looking at the other threads about no glyphs problems, but I did not find an answer for my problem. I have tried this in both version 7.1 and version 6, same thing happen both places.

I have this html source:
<!DOCTYPE html>  <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <style type="text/css">
        .times {
            font-size: 12px;
            font-weight: normal;
            font-family: Timew New Roman;
        }
        .arial {
            font-family: Arial;
        }
        .verdana {
            font-family: Verdana;
        }
    </style>
</head>
<body>

<h1>Gamma characters:</h1>

<div class="times">
  Latin capital letter gamma: Ɣ<br />
  Latin small letter gamma: ɣ<br />
  Greek small letter gamma: γ<br />
</div>
<br />

<div class="arial">
</div>
<br />

<div class="verdana">
</div>
<br />

</body>
</html>

I try to run this manually on the linux command line this way:
/usr/local/lib/prince/bin/prince encoding.html -o encoding.pdf --log=encoding.log

The result is the attached pdf file, and the log says:

Wed Feb 22 15:02:24 2012: ---- begin
Wed Feb 22 15:02:24 2012: warning: no glyphs for character U+0194, fallback to '?'
Wed Feb 22 15:02:24 2012: warning: no glyphs for character U+0263, fallback to '?'
Wed Feb 22 15:02:24 2012: warning: no glyphs for character U+0194, fallback to '?'
Wed Feb 22 15:02:24 2012: warning: no glyphs for character U+0263, fallback to '?'
Wed Feb 22 15:02:24 2012: ---- end

The three characters is as the file says, three different versions of the gamma character. I have copied the characters out of windows charmap (Times New Roman font).

Since the meta tag is set to use utf-8, i would expect the pdf to work with all three characters. But only the small greek gamma work. The interresting thing is that when i try to set windows charmap to unicode and windows: greek, unicode show all three gamma characters, but for windows: greek, only the small greek gamma character is there, just as in the pdf output (see attached images from charmap).

How do I know if prince actually use utf-8 for the pdf generation? I have also tried putting an xml starter (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>) above the doctype in the html instead of the meta tag, still the same result.
  1. encoding.pdf51.4 kB
    pdf output
  2. times1.png51.7 kB
    charmap 1
  3. times2.png52.2 kB
    charmap 2
mikeday
This is not an encoding problem, the document content is fine and Prince is interpreting it correctly. You can verify this by replacing the literal characters with entities, eg &#x194 and &#x263. The issue is that none of the specified fonts seem to have glyphs for the Latin gamma character. Try using Arial Unicode MS, or the SIL Gentium font, they both support it.
henrik
Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean the latin gamma characters are included in the fonts installed on my local windows7 machine (Since i find them in unicode both for Times New Roman and Arial there) but not for the same fonts in Prince, or in the fonts that Prince use on the server machine where it is running?
mikeday
If Prince is running on a different server machine then it will be using whichever fonts are installed on that machine. Older versions of Times New Roman and Arial do not have glyphs for latin gamma.