Forum Bugs

No glyphs, fallback font?

DavidS
First off all, I want to say how great your software is! It is truly fun to work with :)

I am creating a technical document, and went for the Gentium font on the text (since it's nice and readable). However, the document contains several UTF-8 characters, such as a Maltese Cross (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2720/index.htm).

This is not supported by the used font, apparently, and is shown as a '?'. I have however specified several fonts in the 'page' and 'body' CSS rules, where the first one is DejaVu Sans. I know that font supports the glyphs, but I dont want to use that font in all my text.

Why doesn't PrinceXML fallback to a font specified, rather than just a question mark?
I am posting this in the bugs section, as it is clearly an annoying feature ... :)

PS! Any help is also appreciated :)
DavidS
Ok, I am terribly sorry but it seems that it figured itself out.

Since I mentioned the Maltese Cross, I may have another bug:
I have a table, such as this:

<table>
    <tr>
        <td>MALTESE CROSS HERE</td>
        <td>Some descriptive text</td>
    </tr>
</table>

It is correctly displayed in the HTML file, but in the resulting PDF, the maltese cross is moved to the cell on its right, making it appear just before the "Descriptive text".
The cell in which the maltese cross is written, is empty.
mikeday
It works for me if I do this:
<html>
<body>
<p style="font-family: Gentium, DejaVu Sans">
Hello, world! How about this: &#x2720; did it work?
</p>
</body>
</html>

Do you get a question mark if you run Prince on this document?
mikeday
That's odd, do you have any other CSS rules applied to the table? What if you try a simple document like this:
<html>
<body>
<table style="font-family: DejaVu Sans">
<tr>
<td>&#x2720;</td>
<td>Some descriptive text</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>