Forum How do I...?

Prevent footnote from appearing on the page after its marker

johnstephens
Hi,

We use Prince to generate PDF files of scholarly articles, which include a lot of footnotes. The editor noticed this issue that sometimes Prince generates a footnote on the page after its marker. I've looked at a few cases, and it seems to me like it happens only when the footnote marker is down at the bottom of the page, so that if the footnote were printed in full there, it would push the text with the marker onto the subsequent page.

My question is whether there is a setting, whether a command-line option, CSS directive, or something else, that would allow me to force a page-break inside long footnotes when the marker is near the bottom of the page.

I'm aware of the page-break-inside property in CSS, and I tried explicitly setting that to auto in the stylesheet, like so:

@page {
  /* ... */
  @footnotes {
    /* ... */
    page-break-inside: auto;
}
}
/* ... */
.fnt {
  counter-increment: footnote;
  display: prince-footnote;
  /* ... */
  page-break-inside: auto;
}

This seems to have no effect, and I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

Thanks!
mikeday
Currently it is not possible to split a single footnote across multiple pages. Technically, even if it was possible there could still be a footnote marker on the very last line of the page, leaving no space for the footnote itself. Would it be helpful if the @footnotes area could explicitly reserve space on each page to avoid this situation? It would result in a gap on pages with no footnotes, though.
jim_albright
Would really long footnotes still exhibit the problem?

I would consider solving the problem by changing the tracking on a previous paragraph to move the offending line up some so there is space. That is what Princess allows.

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators