Forum How do I...?

High-end Vector-based Charts

wayne.robinson
Hi

I'm currently investigating rendering engines for our future products as we've started to run into the limitations of Apache FOP and would like a templating language that is more accessible to our end-users.

We are a financial services software provider and, as such, have a requirement for advanced chart generation. We are currently using graph2svg with some customisations, but would prefer not to have to support and maintain a custom graphing engine and would also like something with a few more non-hacky features.

Does PrinceXML (or their customers) have a recommended vector-based charting engine to use with the PDF renderer? I'm happy to use some of the JavaScript-based ones (like D3) however, I'm not sure what type of Canvas support PrinceXML has in comparison to say, Chrome/WebKit.

Thanks

Wayne
mikeday
Prince 8.1 does not support canvas, so charts still need to be generated in SVG. Some popular JavaScript charting libraries like HighCharts generate SVG anyway, so this is not the main issue, and we are adding canvas support in the next release of Prince.

The biggest issue is that most of the JavaScript charting libraries use DOM features that we haven't implemented yet, so it can be tricky to get them to work exactly as they do in the browser. We are focusing on supporting more DOM features for the next release of Prince in order to fully support these libraries, but right now they still require some manual adjustment to get them to work.
wayne.robinson
Are there any examples/walkthroughs to demo how this type of charting will work and how easy it will be to implement ongoing?
mikeday
No, it's still too new. I would recommend using an external program to generate SVG for charts until the next release of Prince, when we can support JavaScript libraries off the shelf without modification.