Forum How do I...?

Aligning body content across multiple pages

jamieappleseed
Hi,

I'm trying to make the body content of my pages align across multiple pages depending on the height of the section header. However, I don't know the height of the section header in advance (it will most often be a single line long, but may extend to two or three lines in some cases).

A picture tells many words (a 1,000 to be exact) so this is what I currently have:

current.png

And this is what I would like it to look like. Notice how the body content on both left and right page is aligned according to the section header on the left page.

target.png

Is there a CSS property (or other trickery) that would make this possible?

I tried using prince-flow to flow the section header into the @page top, but then the header was repeated on both pages.

Regards,
Jamie
  1. current.png218.7 kB
    Current implementation
  2. target.png214.2 kB
    Desired implementation
mikeday
That's very tricky. Prince now supports "column-span: 2", but there is no equivalent page-span CSS property.

One possibility would be to duplicate the header, and apply "float: top-next" to the duplicate, so that it becomes a page float at the top of the next page. If you also apply "visibility: hidden", it will not be visible but will still take up space.
jamieappleseed
Thanks for the answer.

This is almost working now, but there's one last issue: I don't know in advance if the header starts on the left or right page (the content can be x-pages and there are multiple subsequent sections).

Would there be a way to only apply "float: top-next" to the (invisible) duplicated header element if it is on a "left" page?

In general I'd be curious to know if there's a way to nest selectors within page scopes (or some other way of styling elements differently depending on the @page).
jamieappleseed
One could imagine the @page:left/right working like @media queries, allowing you to target elements based on their environment (in this case left/right page, as opposed to size/type/etc of viewport).
mikeday
Yes, unfortunately this would allow very strange behaviour, as you could create infinite loops:
/* move to a right page if we are on a left page */
@page:left { div { page-break-before: right } }

/* move to a left page if we are on a right page */
@page:right { div { page-break-before: left } }

For this and other reasons it is not as easy to implement as it appears.