Forum How do I...?

Ready to print HD quality CMYK PDF

nleroy_adexos
Hello,

I have been going through the forum for a few minutes but I would like to get a summary of confirmations .

We are developing an engine that produce PDF from HTML. The PDF must be ready-to-sent-to-professional-printer.

It means :
  • Full CMYK
  • Full 300 dpi
  • Trim marks

As far as CMYK is concerned, can you confirm it's easy as :
  • Defining text and CSS design colors with cmyk() notation
  • using CMYK encoded images in HTML (or CSS)

As far as resolution is concerned, can you confirm it's easy as :
  • Passing a dpi parameter to Prince
  • Providing 300dpi images in HTML and giving them right dimensions in CSS

And finally, I haven't found anything about trim marks. I hope I'm translating it well. It's about adding a cut margin around page, and placing marks where the printer will have to cut pages.
Is there such a feature in Prince? Did you already have to address this issue?
If not, would you recommend post-processing PDF to add wrapping, or drawing margins and marks from HTML (needs a very high precision during conversion from HTML to PDF ; can Prince be such precise).

I'll download demo and give it a try.
Thanks,
Nicolas
mikeday
Yes, specifying your colors with cmyk() and using CMYK images (JPEG or TIFF) should be sufficient to generate a CMYK PDF file.

Prince does not have a DPI option, as PDF files are resolution-independent. All you have to do is ensure that your images are 300dpi, and then specify an appropriate size with CSS, or use the image-resolution property to automatically determine the size (number of pixels divided by resolution, basically).

For trim marks, first enable crop and/or cross marks, like this:
@page {
    marks: cross crop
}

If the default trim/bleed sizes are not correct, you can customise them yourself with these CSS properties:
@page {
    marks: cross crop;
    prince-trim: <length>;
    prince-bleed: <length>
}
nleroy_adexos
mikeday wrote:
For trim marks, first enable crop and/or cross marks, like this:
@page {
    marks: cross crop
}

If the default trim/bleed sizes are not correct, you can customise them yourself with these CSS properties:
@page {
    marks: cross crop;
    prince-trim: <length>;
    prince-bleed: <length>
}

Great!!! I didn't go through these details reading the docs. I think it's all I need.
I'm starting tests with your tool today.
Might be in touch soon...
Thanks!