Forum How do I...?

Footnote Inheritance

conner_bw
Could also be filled under bug, not sure...

Based on the docs and stuff we found in the forums, we style our footnote span as follows:

.footnote {
	font-size: 0.75em;
	display: none;
	display: footnote;
	display: prince-footnote;
	position: footnote;
	counter-increment: footnote;
	footnote-style-position: inside;
	margin-left: 0;
	line-height: 1.4;
	text-indent: 1em; 
}

Our issue is that a customer is doing:

<p style="text-align: right;">Let me sing to <i>Jah</i>.<span class="footnote">In translating the divine name here and elsewhere in the early Hebrew poetic corpus, I have alternated between the nonvocalized representation of the Tetragrammaton and the abbreviated form of the divine name encountered numerous times in the Hebrew Bible, <i>yah</i>. The vocalization of the latter (i.e., <i>Jah</i>) intentionally reflects a pronunciation popular for some time in various locales within  the Africana world, derived in part from Rastafarian colloquial usage and Reggae music. The choice, albeit an unusual one, reflects a conscious effort to bring these biblical poems into more direct conversation with contemporary Africana music that articulates spiritualties of resistance that unapologetically deploy symbolism from Africa and the Black Diaspora. Two excellent examples of songs that do so, and use <i>Jah</i> as the vocalization of choice for the divine name, are The Neville Brothers’ “My Blood,” track 1 on their CD <i>Yellow Moon</i> (UMG Recordings, 1989); and Third World’s version of the song (written by Stevie Wonder and Melody McCully) “Try Jah Love,” track 6 on the second disc of their CD <i>Reggae Ambassadors</i> (The Island Def Jam Music Group, 1993).</span></p>

The Prince generated footnote inherits "text-align: right;"

We do not want this. In fact, I can't think of a case where anyone would want this?

I tried adding "all: default;" at the top of the CSS snippet to no avail.

Basically, I need the (generated) footnotes to start from a blank slate. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks.

Edited by conner_bw

mikeday
At the moment, explicitly overriding text-align and other properties for footnotes is the only way. In the future we may support the "all" mechanism.