Forum How do I...?

How do I generate a PDF of an invoce so that it complies with EU/UK regulations?

Jose2
Here is a link to information about UK regulations for electronic invoicing, and it appears that this information applies to the whole of the EU. What or how would I need to setup Prince so that the invoices we generate with it comply with what's stated in section 4.2 of the linked document (see below, emphasis mine):

4.1 When may I invoice electronically?
You may invoice electronically where the authenticity of the origin and integrity of the invoice data are guaranteed. This can be achieved by:
  • an advanced electronic signature (see paragraph 4.2);
  • [...]

4.2 What is an advanced electronic signature?
An advanced electronic signature is a signature that is:
  • uniquely linked to the signatory;
  • capable of identifying the signatory;
  • created using means that the signatory can maintain under his sole control; and
  • linked to the data to which it relates in such a manner that any subsequent change to the data is detectable.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Jose2

mikeday
These recommendations seem sensible, but quite generic. There are many mechanisms that could be used to digitally sign PDF files, and I don't know which if any are commonly used for invoices in the EU. Given that many invoices get printed out on paper, any embedded signature would be lost unless the original PDF file was carefully archived exactly as it was received. Is this also part of the requirements?
Jose2
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply. The recommendations are generic to avoid locking anyone on any particular technology/process/protocol as these might get outdated. This avoids needing to conform to any particular way of electronic invoicing. The information on this recommendation is (as per section 1.1) for those wanting to issue electronic invoices, receive electronic invoices or both.

If someone receives an invoice from me, they can print it and that's that. But, if I want to have the whole process of invoicing others electronically, I would need to follow these guidelines.

I don't particularly worry about what form do I receive invoices from suppliers. Suppliers will use whatever method they prefer, but I can already scan and save invoices received on paper, or save the digital version I, more often than not, receive these days. Storing scanned images of invoices is accepted by the taxman (see How long your company or organisation must normally retain records).

Having said this, and after reading some more on HMRC's website, I'm not sure I need to worry about the particulars of issuing electronic invoicing. As I understand it, for HMRC, electronic invoicing is different than keeping just a digital copy of the invoices you issue, or receive. They are not different for me – though I'm not saying they aren't; it's just that all I care is to keep everything digitally. Given that HMRC allow keeping all your information in digital form, I don't see the need to follow any "electronic invoicing" procedure.

Unless I'm missing something, seems like keeping with sending invoices as PDF files and storing a copy for our records is good enough. And, for anything received, we already scan and keep digital copies. As for our customers they can print our invoices to them, and keep the printed record or keep the PDF file received.

Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly.

Regards,
Jose

Edited by Jose2