Forum Bugs

Font rendering/display/printing errors

adriencater
I've been having trouble with one of the fonts in a document not always behaving correctly.

Sample PDF can be found here:

http://www.realstone.ch/sites/default/files/factsheet/RSP-RapportAnnuel-2013_fr.pdf

Two font families are used: Gotham, for the larger titles etc. which displays fine; and Whitney, for text and tables, which is having issues.

Bug is somewhat erratic:

On my own computer(s) it displays fine (most of the time) in Preview.app, but when I print, no characters in that font are printed.

The same document on the same machine printed with Acrobat comes out just fine.

When the PDF was published, a client of the client reported that the text was showing up garbled, and kindly sent along a screenshot, which is attached. Apparently, this was viewed with Firefox, I assume on a PC.

Realstone RA.PNG

I suspect a corrupt font (as all of the other fonts i've been using lately work fine), but I've tried replacing it with a (hopefully) fresh/clean copy of the font, and it still persists.

The fonts are loaded into Prince with an @font-face declaration: i.e:

@font-face{ font-family: 'WhitneyFont';  font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url("Whitney/Whitney-Light-Pro.otf")          }

Any ideas on what's happening?
  1. Realstone RA.PNG49.7 kB
    Garbled font
mikeday
The Firefox PDF viewer is very new and still unfinished. I have raised this issue on the Mozilla bug tracker and hopefully they can resolve it.

In general, "younger" PDF viewers like Firefox and Apple Preview seem to have trouble with OTF fonts, as they have not been well tested.
adriencater
Mike, I was thinking the same thing, but the other fonts in the document (Gotham) render correctly everywhere, and are also OTF (by the same foundry even) – which makes me think it's a corrupted font file.

Have you seen anything behave similarly in the past? (display in Preview.app, but not printing correctly; displaying weird glyphs in FF?)
dauwhe
I've found the built-in PDF viewer in FF to be useless (I'm seeing similar results to yours, with fonts I know to be good).

We really like the PDF Browser plugin from SchubertIT: http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

Dave
mikeday
Apparently some OTF bugs have been fixed in a newer version of pdf.js, which will be included in future Firefox releases.