Forum How do I...?

Cannot fit footnote(s) on page X

BlueChilli
Hi,

I have 15 footnotes on the page, last 5 are displayed on the next page, tried to increase footnote height or max-height, however didn't seem to work, is there any work around to display more footnotes on one page?

Thanks in advance
mikeday
Are you using Prince 9? Are the footnotes very long, or are there just a lot of them?
BlueChilli
Yes, using version 9. It can be both cases, users are using it to write academic documents. There is no limitation of how many footnotes they can add, maybe we can add reasonable length limitation for each footnote. Currently, it displays 9/10 footnotes on one page (each footnote fits in one line) depending on margins/font size.
mikeday
Here is an example document showing 37 footnotes on a single page, would you be able to post a small document showing the problem?
  1. footnotes.html1.8 kB
    Example HTML
  2. footnotes.pdf19.8 kB
    Example PDF
BlueChilli
Thanks, please check the documents attached.
  1. footnotes.html20.4 kB
  2. footnotes.pdf159.4 kB
mikeday
In this case the text with the footnote calls occurs at the end of a page, so not all the footnotes can fit on the same page. Prince 9 has a new property that you can apply to the paragraph:
prince-footnote-policy: auto | keep-with-line | keep-with-block

The default behaviour is auto, if you specify keep-with-line then Prince will move the line containing the footnote calls to the next page, so that as many footnotes as possible can fit on the same page.
dauwhe
Just this morning we had a six-line footnote that was being pushed to the next page because the callout was low on the page. So we ended up splitting it, with three lines on the page with the reference, and the last three lines on the next page. Good thing I'm allowed to edit the source files, so I could turn the one footnote into two half-footnotes. CSS was also handy to suppress the extra footnote markers.

kindlychung
@mikeday Could you please post the complete command line for that? Thanks!
mikeday
Command line for what?
notafius
Even with the code to keep footnotes with line I still get the warning and pirncexml can't place the footnotes to right page. Running princexml v13 with Arial font

prince-footnote-policy: keep-with-line;

Any idea?
howcome
Could you post your sample document?
notafius
It was the Font issue. If i switch to another font works fine