Forum Feature requests

Table of Contents generation

exeunt
One situation I've run into is dynamic generation of books from combinations of various HTML pages. I'm trying to merge prince with a wiki system that would allow for inclusion of various pages to make a book. Each chapter can be included in different books, and in different orders, which makes table of contents generation very difficult.

HTMLDOC has a system that allows for generation of a table of contents from the headers in the document. Do you envision this type of feature in a future version of Prince?
mikeday
HTMLDOC has a system that allows for generation of a table of contents from the headers in the document. Do you envision this type of feature in a future version of Prince?

Yes! :D

There are several ways that this may be added to Prince, such as the new CSS 3 module for generated content in paged media, or via integration with other mechanisms such as the maketoc script that operates on HTML. Either way, generated tables of contents and indices are something that we definitely want to see added to Prince.
talyrobin
Is this available now to do in Prince? If so, can you please direct me to the documentation that describes what is needed? thx
mikeday
We support JavaScript now, so that would be the recommended way to generate a table of contents: write a script that goes through the document finding all the chapters/sections, and adds links to them.