Forum How do I...?

xlink

fbrzvnrnd
Hi,

this is only a curiosity: I was trying to find a way to test the extended xlink, but I do not found program that handle the xlink. In wikipedia I read Prince support xlink, but I don't find documentation about this.

Thank you

f./
mikeday
We actually removed support for simple XLink from the default style sheets, as no one was using it, although it is still supported in SVG. It should be possible to support XLink with a combination of CSS and JavaScript. Do you have an example of the markup you are using?
fbrzvnrnd
Actually I was only trying to study the xlink properties, only for fun, if xlink could be thinked as fun thing. I wrote some lines like those, and was looking for a software that can render those, to understand better the Recommendation and the application.
mikeday
Right, I think XLink is probably more interesting in an interactive application. But in general, people seem to have agreed that XLink was too generic, and that it is fine for each specification to define its own linking behaviour. SVG will probably migrate away from XLink in future, as it doesn't bring any benefit, and just requires additional namespace declarations and attribute prefixes.
fbrzvnrnd
Yes. Actually I use XML (XHTML) for building digital books. It is poor, it lacks of many tool and semantic for have a mature digital literature. The link is limited to "jump" here and there. The Xlink was real interesting, but I see it is a dead project at all. And the XHTML2 dead put a grave onto it. HTML5 and javascript are powerful tools, but more dispersive, and with more problem with specificul support from readers. But this is a land near Prince, not a Prince specific problem (it is more a EPUB3 problem).
Thank you for the answer.