Forum Samples, Tips and Tricks

Right to left documents

erelsgl
Here is a hack to convert right-to-left documents to PDF:
a. Convert the HTML to PDF using Prince;
b. Convert the PDF to Word using a good Pdf-to-word converted (such as "solid");
c. Open the Word document with a version of Word that supports right-to-left documents.
d. Save the Word document as PDF.

The resulting document is quite ugly, but readable.
jim_albright
Couldn't you just go from HTML to Word to PDF? Don't see need for Prince in this. Or did the CSS add something for you?

Jim Albright
Wycliffe Bible Translators

mikeday
This awkward workaround will not be necessary following the release of Prince 7.0, which supports bidirectional text layout. :)
jim_albright
I'm counting the days. How many to go?

Where are the betas... I would like to test them now.

Jim Albright

mikeday
The latest builds are here:
prince-7.0a17-setup.exe
prince-7.0a18-linux.tar.gz
prince-7.0a21-macosx.tar.gz
The beta will be out very soon, we are just updating the style sheets to select appropriate default fonts for supported scripts on all platforms.
jim_albright
are these daily builds?

Jim Albright

mikeday
No, we don't publish daily builds at this time.
mikeday
The first beta for Prince 7.0 is now available, and includes support for bidirectional text layout and OpenType fonts with advanced layout features. It supports Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi and other Indic scripts.
jim_albright
I'm testing out the Arabic now. :)

Jim Albright

miprincipe
Dear Alistair
I am very interested in right to left from xml to something printable through prince. I use the programs that export lift and I would like to know how to make style sheets. Do I have to write css files manually..?
What do I have to study, are there sample css somewhere?
Thank you
Reuben
jim_albright
Reuben,

I am working on creating a Dictionary XHTML + CSS to print dictionaries using Prince. It will be implemented inside of FLEX and WeSay. You can import a LIFT file into FLEX and produce your dictionary directly. FLEX writes the Dictionary XHTML. There is something available for testing now but we expect great changes. Alister is on the FLEX mailing list. You might ask there. Prince handles a lot of rtl but still has some features to add. For a dictionary there may be enough working already as long as you don't need justified text.

Jim Albright

miprincipe
Thank you Jim Albright
Sorry I confused surnames, I don't know why..
That's good news for many people, it will save me lots of work.
Presently working with Guarani-Span. too..
I'd like to get news about your work
I also would like to know how to use access or mysql to introduce more fields in a given lift file.. or other means.

Thanks for your attention and your work
Reuben
jim_albright
jim_albright at wycliffe.org

Jim Albright