Forum News

Prince 9 rev 4 released!

mikeday
Today we have released Prince 9 rev 4, a maintenance release that includes:
  • support for TIFF images with transparency (RGBA and CMYKA)
  • improved default settings for crop marks and bleed/trim properties
  • new prince-mark-length and prince-mark-offset properties
  • a fix for issues caused by overlapping link elements in HTML5
  • other minor bug fixes and improvements
Many thanks to everyone using Prince 9! :D

(But wait, what happened to rev 3? Quite simple: we were halfway through the release process, when we fixed the HTML5 overlapping link issue, and decided that it was worth pushing the fix out immediately, so we skipped straight to rev 4, so you don't have to upgrade twice).
Srinivas
Hi Mike,
I get the below error while installing Prince XML on my Windows Machine. Could you please let me know where I am going wrong?
*************************************************************************************************************************
=== Logging stopped: 2/5/2014 11:01:05 ===
MSI (c) (4C:54) [11:01:05:677]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (c) (4C:54) [11:01:05:678]: Product: Prince -- Installation operation failed.

MSI (c) (4C:54) [11:01:05:705]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Prince. Product Version: 1.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Yes Logic Pty Ltd. Installation success or error
*****************************************************************************************************************************

Thanks,
Srinivas
mikeday
I have not seen this error before. Has it actually copied any files? Does the installer open any windows and ask any questions before failing?
Srinivas
Thanks Mike. I installed it again and the error is gone now.

I have another question.

I had intergrated Spring code into my Java workspace. When I use the convert(InputStream xmlInput, OutputStream pdfOutput) method to convert HTML to PDF, I get the return status as false. Which means the document is not converted successfully. I am not able to open the generated document(Size is 0 KB). I have attached the input and output documents. Could you please check?

Thanks,
Srinivas
  1. Sample1.html0.4 kB
    Input and output documents
  2. Sample1.pdf0 bytes
    Output
mikeday
Perhaps it cannot run the Prince executable, is the path specified correctly?
Srinivas
Yes. Is this the way I should call Prince API from a Java program.

Prince prince = new Prince("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Prince\\prince-gui.exe");
InputStream input = new FileInputStream(new File(
"D:\\Prism\\PrismDocuments\\FO\\RELEASES\\14.4\\HTML_2_PDF_POC\\HTML_Files\\Sample1.html"));
OutputStream output = new FileOutputStream(new File(
"D:\\Prism\\PrismDocuments\\FO\\RELEASES\\14.4\\HTML_2_PDF_POC\\HTML_Files\\Sample1.pdf"));
boolean status = prince.convert(input, output);

When i run this piece of code, the PrinceXML opens up as a pop up, I select the input HTML file and not able to proceed furthur.

Could you please let me know the ideal way to call this convert API?

Thanks,
Srinivas
mikeday
Call the engine executable directly (Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe) not the GUI. :)
Srinivas
Thanks a lot Mike. That helped!!!
We are in evaluation phase. We get back to you for License details soon.

Regards,
Srinivas
Srinivas
Hi Mike,

I have one more question.

How do I convert a HTML and a CSS file to PDF(HTML refers to CSS)?

Thanks,
Srinivas
Srinivas
Mike,

Does Prince support Annotations in PDF?

Thanks
mikeday
No, Prince does not support annotations. To convert a HTML and CSS file, just use the GUI or the command-line interface.
Srinivas
Hi Mike,

Does Prince support table layout in the trial version. I converted a HTML having tables, the output PDF doesn't have any table layout like borders.... Attached the HTML and PDF.
  1. Q4RPFCOVER.html63.9 kB
    Input HTML
  2. createAndShare.pdf203.9 kB
    Output PDF
mikeday
Yes, Prince supports tables. The PDF appears to have black borders around the table cells, no?
Srinivas
Sorry Mike. I had attached the wrong file. This is the file that I have generated.
  1. Q4RPFCOVER_P.pdf141.1 kB
    Actual generated output
mikeday
Check if the CSS style sheets are being applied, and if there are any error or warning messages in the output log.
Srinivas
Hi Mike,

By when we can expect annotation support in PRINCE? I see this item in the roadmap for PRINCE 7.0.
We are eagerly looking for this feature. Could you please comment on any exact dates if you know.

Thanks,
Srinivas
mikeday
We are not currently working on PDF annotations, and we have many other features to implement before we get to this. What kind of annotation support do you require? (It would help to start a new thread for this, under "Feature requests").