Forum How do I...?

Debugging "prince: warning: no glyphs for character U+XXXX, fallback to '?'

jehrenzweig
We recently made a change to one of our reports, at which time it went from being PDF'ed properly (using Prince 8.1 rev 5, I think?) using PrinceXML to throwing tons of these warnings:
"prince: warning: no glyphs for character U+001C, fallback to '?'"

The character value is different in each report, but aside from that the messages are the same. I'm guessing it's a font detection issue, but I'm not sure how to go about debugging to pinpoint the problem. Any tips or pointers?
mikeday
Actually it looks like a character encoding problem. Is the document encoded in UTF-8, and does it have a meta charset declaration?
jehrenzweig
It isn't UTF-8, but it does have a meta charset declaration:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
	<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
mikeday
Is the charset declaration accurate? As in, it really is encoded using ISO-8859-1? Would you be able to attach a sample document here, or perhaps email one to me? (mikeday@yeslogic.com)
jehrenzweig
Sure, let me email you one of the problematic docs right now.
jehrenzweig
Hrm... so this is curious. We have a .NET MVC app that uses PrinceXML to generate PDFs by forwarding page requests to it -- that's working fine. But if our Linux box gets the HTML from our .NET app and then tries to use PrinceXML to convert it, we get that glyph issue.

Would emailing you the PDF generated by the Linux box, which threw the glyphy warnings, be of any use to you? Or did you need the HTML source code?
mikeday
We need the HTML, or at least some fragment of the HTML that causes the problem.
jehrenzweig
Ok. I'll try to get you that document tomorrow... I want to see if our Linux box can capture the raw HTML it's having problems with.
jehrenzweig
Just wanted to report that our problems were resolved -- it was an internal issue, and not Prince's fault in any way. Thank you for your initial help!