Forum How do I...?

beginner trapped with column-span

jens
Hi Prince users!

I am evaluating Prince 9.0.3 right now and encountered some problems related to column-span. What I basically try to achieve is a layout based on 3 columns, a table on the left (span column 1 and 2) and some text in the 3rd column. So it should look like this:

|0123456789|0123456789|0123456789|

| ,-----,------,----, |text      |
| |1----|------|----| |text text |
| |2----|------|----| |...       |
| |3----|------|----| |          |
| |4----|------|----| |          |
| |5----|------|----| |          |
| |...  |------|----| |          |
| |n----|------|----| |          |
| '-----'------'----' |          |

My HTML looks is:

<div style="column-count:3; column-gap:1em; column-rule-style:double;">
    <div style="column-span:2; column-break-after:always;">
        <table .... on left side ...>
        </table>
    </div>
    <div>
        <p ... on right side ...>
        text...
        </p>
    </div>
</div>

Issue 1: column-span is ignored at all
Issue 2: table uses the entire width not only 2/3
Issue 3: each of the 3 columns displays rows overriding the content of the right neighbour columns (ignoring the column width)
Issue 4: table also displays rows in the 3rd column which only should display the content of "<p>"

To me it feels like a user (hey, that's me) problem, so hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction..

Thanks in advance

Jens
jens
I dug deeper and found

http://www.princexml.com/forum/topic/1010/column-span-property
and
http://www.princexml.com/forum/topic/1079/column-span-not-working

So surprisingly (well, to me) column-span:all works as expected (spans all columns), but neither
column-span:number
nor
column-width
seem to have any effect regardless where the style is located (div, p, child element)... it's silently ignored. Is there any other way to handle multi column layouts properly?

Thanks

Jens

mikeday
Using "column-span: <number>" only works when the element is also a column float, at the moment you can't just make an arbitrary block span into the next column.
jens
I see...
ok, I solved it using nested Tables but this was something I tried to avoid at all. But thanks for the info.