Forum Bugs

multiple instances of Prince running, jamming up CPU

jkg9000
Hi -- we're running Prince on a Windows 2008 machine, for PDF generation via PHP. The app creates multiple instances that won't stop -- right now, there are 7 concurrently running. This ends up pegging our CPU at 100% until we go in and manually kill all of those processes. Is this a bug? Is there a way to kill these processes automatically or prevent them from hanging?

jkg
mikeday
Have you been able to generate any PDF files? Which convert method are you calling in the PHP wrapper?
nbarbettini
I think I am running into this issue as well. I have Prince running on a Windows 2008 server and handling a fairly high volume of document conversion traffic. Most requests go through just fine, but 1-2 times a week (at least) something happens where Prince starts running away and spawning tons of prince.exe -- we've seen 80+. The CPU pegs at 100% and the server locks up. Manually killing all of the Prince instances and then recycling the app pool seems to do the trick, but it's a problem.

I've upgraded to Prince 9.0 so I should be using the latest binaries. The calls are pretty simple requests from a .NET application. Any insight? (I can provide more details on request)
mikeday
Odd. Prince itself should not be spawning any processes, and the wrapper should only spawn one Prince process per convert call. More details would be great, especially if the failure is reproducible. You can email me (mikeday@yeslogic.com) if you have test documents or anything like that.