Forum How do I...?

Label continued table cells (samples attached)

arbw
Hi All,

My company is trying to see if Prince will work to automate our process of conference program PDF generation.

We use a pretty old piece of software to generate HTML for programs. It would be ideal if we didn't have to redevelop anything, though it is theoretically possible to do so (but unlikely that we would actually do it).

I've been noodling on this for a while and have gotten almost everything worked out, I think. However, I stuck on a couple things and I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm generating "demo export.pdf" by running the following command (in real life, we'll run it aimed at a page in our system):

prince --no-author-style -s prince.css -s prince-us.css "demo export.html"

We like this output quite a lot. However, we'd like to make the following improvements, all based on sessions and theads that span more than one page.

1. When the Poster Session that begins on page 2 breaks onto page 3, I would like to print the text "Poster Sessions Continued" in the second column in the same style as "Poster Sessions" appeared on page 2. I would also like to print "Café Continued" in the first column as it was styled on page 2.
2. When any thead is repeated, I'd like to add "Continued" to its content.

Is this possible without modifying the HTML?
  1. demo export.html28.5 kB
  2. demo export.pdf22.4 kB
  3. prince-us.css0.8 kB
  4. prince.css4.1 kB
mikeday
This is not possible without modifying the HTML, and depending on where you want the "Continued" to appear, it may not be possible at all. Currently it is only possible to specify multiple table <caption> elements and use the caption-page CSS property to determine which one appears on first vs. following pages.