Forum How do I...?

Perpendicular Sign

medeek
I am trying to use the perpendicular sign (⊥) for some mathematical expressions in a web page that I'm converting to PDF however it appears that Prince cannot find this character. How do I enable Prince to be able to handle this mathematical symbol?

http://design.medeek.com/resources/beam/beam_calculator.pl
mikeday
Which operating system are you running Prince on? You may need to specify different fonts.
medeek
This is the warning message I'm getting:

warning: no glyphs for character U+22A5, fallback to '?'

I've tried the decimal and hex versions of the html code but it still throws the same warning and then replaces the symbol with a question mark.

This is a serious limitation of this software and for mathematical applications seriously devalues its usefulness.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, PE
mikeday
How about if you specify "font-family: Arial Unicode MS" ? Or on Linux, install the OpenSymbol font.
medeek
I'm currently running on Windows Server 2003 R2 Service Pack 2. I noticed that it does not seem to work on this machine however I just tried it on my Windows 7 machine and it does not have a problem. I'm using the same version of Prince on both machines (Prince 9.0 rev 5).

It throws the same error with Arial, Verdana and Times New Roman on the Windows 2003 Server. It must have something to do with this operating system not having the extended fonts.
mikeday
Right, I guess no Arial Unicode MS on Windows Server 2003. Perhaps you can install it, or some other font with support for mathematical symbols.
medeek
Installed Arial Unicode MS on the server and that fixed it, thank-you.
medeek
I also noticed it works if I use Times New Roman or any other font, not sure how that works but just glad it does.
mikeday
Yes actually Prince specifies Arial Unicode MS as a fallback font on Windows, so it doesn't need to be specified explicitly, it will still get used if the character cannot be found anywhere else. I forgot that before. :)