Forum Bugs

Using AdorshoLipi font in Bangla

Initiator
I had tried using SolaimanLipi earlier, but ran into issues that we discussed in detail, so I've now switched to AdorshoLipi.

AdorshoLipi works far better, and doesn't have the vertical alignment problem of SolaimanLipi.

But I've come across another issue. The screenshot indicates the problem, and I've attached the problematic text as well.

Could you please help? Thanks for all your efforts in making PrinceXML better and better!
  1. AdorshoLipi.txt0.2 kB
  2. AdorshoLipiProblem.png15.3 kB
mikeday
Okay it seems like the sequence of characters "ba virama da" are combining incorrectly. The font seems to load in Firefox, so there are no obvious problems there. I will investigate.
mikeday
Specifically we are applying the below-base form (blwf) substitution to "ba virama", when it seems we should be applying the half-form substitution so it can combine nicely with the following "da". Not sure why, though.
mikeday
I get the same behaviour with the Ani font, so it is not font-specific. It seems to be a script processing issue: if we see the syllable "ba virama da" we treat the "da" as the base, and the "ba" is a below-base character, and that just isn't working in this situation.
Initiator
So you'll probably update the PrinceXML software sometime soon to incorporate this?
mikeday
Not until we can figure out how Bengali is supposed to work. Further research required.
Initiator
Okay, thanks! I'll keep posted for updates.
mikeday
We have fixed this issue by not applying the below-base substitution to consonants at the beginning of a syllable. As far as we can tell, this change fixes the problem without breaking anything else. If you would like to try it, just let me know which platform you are running Prince on and we'll create an updated alpha version you can download.
Initiator
I am using Ubuntu 14.04, 64-bit on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz.

I'd love to try out the alpha build!

Will I need to uninstall Prince 9.0 first?
mikeday
Thanks, the new alpha packages are available here for 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04. There are DEB and .tar.gz archives available, so you can upgrade your existing installation or install somewhere else.
Initiator
Thank you Mike, for the alpha version!

We expect to test out the PDF creation with a hundred or so articles over a month's period. I'll then update this thread with my feedback.
mikeday
Prince 10 is now available, and includes this fix for Bengali script. Thanks for helping us with this issue. :)