Forum How do I...?

Table Rowspan Content

afingret
Hi,

We are producing large tables that span multiple pages. The first column of our table can "rowspan" over two or more pages. The content of this cell might be something like this:

<td rowspan="60">Floor 1</td> with 40 rows on page one, and 20 rows on page two.

What we would like, is to somehow duplicate the content (similar to a header or footer or thead) in the spillover page rowspan cell. If, for example, page one's rowspan has the content "Antelopes" in it, we would like to have "Antelopes" appear in the spillover rowspan cell of page two as well.

Further, is there a way to add in the text "Continued" so that Page Two reads "Antelopes Continued" ?

It's reaching, I know.
afingret
Sorry, just re-read this and to clarify, "Floor 1" and "Antelopes" are interchangeable - just the content of td I'm talking about.
mikeday
I don't think this is currently possible. :(
afingret
Hi Mike,

We are looking for a workaround. Are there any selectors that are able to target the top (or bottom) of each new page?

The idea is to ditch the rospan and write the content of the first column into every td, and using display:none to hide all but the top cell. The trick is to identify the top left cell on every page.

Any ideas?
afingret
sort of like:

page-break-after:first-child

just trying to illustrate the concept here
mikeday
Selectors can't target elements based on their position, as this could cause infinite loops.

Currently only table caption elements and table header/footers can repeat on each page like this.