Forum How do I...?

Have page break only in table

rohde
Trying to bend page breaks to my will :)

In short: I have an invoice in HTML. The document consists of a header, a table of invoice lines, a totals area, and a payment instruction area.

When the invoice contains too many invoice lines for it to be on one page, I want the invoice to do a page break in the invoice line table.

And it does just that when I put in many lines, so that's good. But if I put in just the right amount of lines, the page break is between the table and the totals, which I do not want. In this case I want the page break to be in the table as well.

Basically the only place I want a page break is in the table.

I tried something like this:

* {
            page-break-before: avoid;
            page-break-after: avoid;
            page-break-inside: avoid;
        }

table {
            page-break-inside: auto;
        }

But then the page break happens before the table.

Edited by rohde

mikeday
Try applying it to "table, tbody, tr, td".
rohde
It still just pushes the table to the next page :(
mikeday
Sorry, I misread. You will need to allow page breaks before/after rows, not prevent them.
rohde
Still the same. I have this:
 * {
            page-break-inside: avoid;
        }
           tbody, tr, td {
            page-break-before: auto;
            page-break-after: auto;
            page-break-inside: auto;
        }
mikeday
Hmm, that will still apply "page-break-inside: avoid" to table elements, and "page-break-after: avoid" to the element *before* tables, which might cause similar issues.
rohde
What would you then suggest to only have page breaks in the table?
mikeday
It may be difficult to arrange. Can you attach a sample document here that we can tweak? That may be easier than starting with a fresh document, which may not match your situation.
rohde
I have attached an HTML doc and the PDF from Prince.
  1. test-invoice.html8.7 kB
    HTML invoice document
  2. test-invoice.pdf48.3 kB
    PDF of invoice from Prince
rohde
Sorry, the first HTML file was missing som CSS. I have added it to the attached file.
  1. test-invoice.html15.6 kB
    Updated HTML invoice
rohde
So, any luck with this? Any ideas?
mikeday
I think it may be difficult to do this at the moment. Presumably you don't want the payment-terms div element to be left on the second page by itself. However, applying "page-break-before: avoid" to this will pull the total-container div to the second page as well. Applying "page-break-before: avoid" to the total-container div also, will pull the entire table over to the second page. I don't think there is a way to pull just one or two rows to the second page, at least not with page-break properties alone.

If the table rows are a consistent height, then you could put a forced page break every N rows, or just after the first N rows, to handle the two-page situation, which is probably the most common.
rohde
Thx for the input.
Do you think something like this will be possible at some point in the future?
mikeday
Perhaps; anything can happen in the future. :)