Forum How do I...?

Server or local installation

princenat
Hello everybody,

Sorry for the newbie question...

On a wamp web server installed locally, everything is working as it should with prince. Now I have to make it work on the "real" web server.

I produce a pdf from a web site page containing news. I call prince from php to produce the pdf. In other words, the customer add news to his web site, and once a month, he sort of only click a button to produce his monthly newspaper...

The web server is linux (I have to ask to know the exact version).

Do I have to install prince on the web server or is there a way to make it work with prince installed locally on the computer of the customer ?

If I have to install it on the server, is there a way without access to SSH Server ? Like, installing prince on a linux computer and transfer the files with FTP ?

If I have no other choice than accessing SSH, they indicate that the access is without "backprocess". Is this ok for prince ? And I only need the SSH access to install it, once it's done, SSH access is no longer required ? (cause I have to pay 20$ a year for SSH access, I wonder if I need it only to install...)

Last question : if I have the choice, I use the "dynamic" version, right ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Have a good day.
mikeday
From what you describe, you will probably need to install Prince on the server. It helps to have SSH access to install and check everything is working. You don't need SSH access once it is running. Although $20 per year is not very expensive. :)

Check the Linux version, then install the appropriate package. Definitely install dynamic linked package if you can, it's more reliable.
princenat
I didn't want to make the customer pay 20$ more if it was not required... I will come back to you if I have other questions to make it work.

Thank you very much mike for your quick and complete answer. Amazing support here !

Have a good day !
princenat
Hello mike,

I need more explications :

The linux version of the web server is centos 64 bits. Is it the "Linux, generic 64-bit, dynamic" that I need to install ?

Secondly, I don't have root access on the web server. I just download the archive in another directory and install prince from there ?

I appreciate your help !
princenat
I've seen the CentOS 6.0 download for prince... I only need an answer for the second question.

Thanks
mikeday
The 64-bit dynamic package can be installed in a local directory without root access. The CentOS RPM requires root access, although technically you can unpack it manually with cpio and put the files somewhere yourself, it just takes more work.
princenat
ok thanks mike, I'll give it a try.
you give very good support... really appreciated !