Forum How do I...?

Classic ASP using com object on 64 Bit server 2012 IIS 8

kangarolf
Hi all,

I am moving a project from one server to another and then hopefully porting to .NET at some point in the distant future!

This project used the COM object for Prince to create some PDFs.

I have successfully registered the COM object on the new server. Incidentally I'll post this here in case other people have the same problem.

To register the Prince ASP com object on a 64 bit server you have to;
1 - use the 32 bit version of regsvr32 which is located in %systemroot%\SysWoW64\
2 - make sure you run the command prompt with elevated privileges
3 - dont put your prince.dll in the system32 folder it wont work, stick it in the root or somewhere out of the system folders

I can create the object but any pr.convert just ends up with nothing. I also cant get it to log errors or produce any error output on screen. The log file directory is correct and the IIS user has write privileges.

Anyone have any ideas..?

Thanks
mikeday
Can you run Prince successfully from the command-line? Also, are you specifying the correct path to the Prince engine executable?
kangarolf
Thanks for the response.

I've solved my own issue!

The application pool for the website was running under its own identity not the systemuser identity so the permissions were all wrong.

Shame the com object doesnt expose any errors..for this problem you cant log errors either because it wont have had access to the log file either =)

Thanks