Forum How do I...?

Can it be done? If so, how?

ndcisiv
I'm currently forced to use Crystal Reports to accomplish this, and would very much like to use Prince instead but I can't find a way to make it work. Here are my requirements.

1. A static Header on each and every page. (Easy)
2. A static Footer on each and every page. (Easy)
3. A two column format that reads newspaper style. (Easy)

Now here's what I'm having troubles.

4. Each column on the page needs to have a header of it's own, on each and every page that is a simple row of 7 column headings. (One very long table, using thead seems to make this part work ok)
5. The table consists of sections that are broken up by A) Category, B) Subcategory, C) Product Name, then D) a list of package types available for that product. I need to have it displayed in a hierarchy like this:

Category Name 1
Subcategory Name 1
Product Name 1
Package Type 1
Package Type 2
Package Type 3
Product Name 2
Package Type 1
Subcategory Name 2
Product Name 1
Package Type 1
Category Name 2
Subcategory Name 1
Product Name 1
Package Type 1

The kicker is I'm trying to get it to repeat the Category Name, Subcategory Name, and Product Name at the top of column 1 for each new page if it is currently still displaying rows (of Package Types) for the current product. I don't want it repeated on column 2 on the same page, just on new pages.

Any tips for me?
mikeday
I don't think that is possible yet, unfortunately. :(

It would require some kind of conditional repetition mechanism that we don't currently have in CSS.
ndcisiv
Any idea when column-break-inside will make it into Prince?
mikeday
Not sure yet. Do you have multi-column layouts (not tables) with blocks that you want to keep in one piece, but you don't mind if they break across pages?