Forum Bugs

Prince and El Capitan Public Beta?

greatislander
Hello,

I installed Prince (10r3) on El Capitan Public Beta, and when trying to convert a sample file locally I got this error:

*** Mercury runtime: caught segmentation violation ***
cause: address not mapped to object
address involved: 0x0
This may have been caused by a stack overflow, due to unbounded recursion.
exiting from signal handler
Segmentation fault: 11

I had been using 9.0r5 before on Yosemite with no issue. I also tried 9.0r5 on El Capitan and got the same error. Is there a known incompatibility? I know with a beta system my mileage may vary—just wondering!
mikeday
It's not known, we haven't tried this public beta yet. Can you try running with the --debug flag?
greatislander
Hi Mike,

The issue appears to be during the font scan portion of the document conversion:

prince: Preparing document...
prince: debug: stopping prefetch threads
prince: Converting document...
prince: debug: pack
prince: debug: font request: bold serif
prince: debug: scan fonts: Times New Roman
prince: debug: found font: Times New Roman Regular
prince: debug: found font: Times New Roman Italic
prince: debug: found font: Times New Roman Bold
prince: debug: found font: Times New Roman Bold Italic
prince: debug: scan fonts: Symbol
prince: debug: found font: Symbol Regular
prince: debug: scan fonts: LiSong Pro
prince: debug: found font: LiSong Pro Light
prince: debug: scan fonts: Hiragino Mincho Pro

*** Mercury runtime: caught segmentation violation ***
cause: address not mapped to object
address involved: 0x0
This may have been caused by a stack overflow, due to unbounded recursion.
exiting from signal handler
Segmentation fault: 11

In El Capitan Public Beta, Hiragino Mincho Pro's name in the filesystem is:

ヒラギノ明朝 ProN W3.ttc

I don't know if this is a change, but Is it possible that Prince is tripping up on these characters in the filename?
bmesuere
Same issue here with Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro
mikeday
I have an updated Prince package with better logging: prince-10r3-debug-20150720-macosx.tar.gz

Would you be able to install this and run it on the same input document with --debug and paste the output that you get?

Hopefully this will reveal exactly what is going on regarding these particular fonts.

Thanks! :D
greatislander
Hi Mike, that new package fixed something, as I was able to successfully convert my test file. Output attached.
  1. debug.txt21.4 kB
mikeday
Thanks. The crash was caused by the system unexpectedly returning NULL when we tried to find the Hiragino Mincho Pro font. Now we are more careful, but I don't understand why the font does not appear to be available any more, as it has always worked in the past. I guess it's still a beta, perhaps this is a bug. :)
mikeday
Apple insist that it's not a bug, and that we should use the Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN font instead, although the other fonts are still reported as available, so it sounds like a bug to me. Either way, we have changed Prince 10 rev 4 accordingly; thank you for letting us know about the issue. :)