Forum How do I...?

Continuation charachter / symbol

iljamaas
Is there an option to set a symbol ( like a litte arrow or any unicode character of even generated content) to be used after a line that is forced to break?

We render codelines in PDF, in some cases these need to wrap, which works quite well with

word-wrap: break-word; (prince10)

But we would like to see a litte 'continuation-character' at the position of the break. (after the printed first line)

Also, we would like to use something like the above on the break of a box. If the box is a continuation of the box on the page before, we would like to insert some content, or / also have content after the break of the box on the first page, to indicate the box is continued on the next page.

Which is kind of the same as a repeating table header, but in this case the content isn't a table.

Any tips / workarounds? Unluckily we haven almost no options to change the html, (however, this could be done with javascript in prince if really needed).
mikeday
I don't think there is any mechanism for this yet, although it is something we have heard before. We may need to introduce a new mechanism.
iljamaas
Thanx for the quick reply!

> We may need to introduce a new mechanism.

Is this as much as a filed feature request or should I create one :-) ?
mikeday
This is sufficient, I will update the development roadmap. :)
afingret
Mike,

Was a simple solution ever developed for this feature? Would love to use css content="continues" on page one (before the page break) and content="continued" on page two (after the page break).

Is there a hook for this function in Prince?

Edited by afingret

mikeday
Unfortunately not yet, it is something that still requires using the table thead or caption trick, or the new method of a two-pass JavaScript process to identify the page break location and log it and then reconvert the document with adjusted styling.
afingret
That's a pity... it seems like it would be relatively easy to implement in software (presumably Prince knows where page breaks are occurring), but what do I know.

Thanks