Forum How do I...?

PDF features

kuttysubbu
I would like to know the following features can be handled in Prince.

1. Page Thumbnails
2. Page numbering
3. Threading of PDF files
5. XMP import
6. Page rotation (input needed)
7. Adobe PDF setting (General, Images, Fonts, Color, Advance, Standards – Acrobat distiller settings)
8. Fast web view

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Subbu
mikeday
No page thumbnails, yes page numbering, no threading, no XMP import, yes page rotation, not sure which PDF settings you are talking about, no fast web view.
kuttysubbu
Hi

Is there any way to handle threading option?

Thanks
Subbu
mikeday
You would need to do this with an external PDF tool.
Chella
Hi Mike,

I have checked earlier post, on that you have mentioned threading option/feature is not available in current princexml version, then said have to enable this feature using external tool. So, I request you to take it up as new dev requirement. Because, we need this feature part of princexml package. I have attached screenshot for your reference.

Kindly share your response on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Chella|TNQ Technologies
+91 98 84 504995

1. Threading-PDF-1.jpg43.0 kB
    PDF Threading
mikeday
We will investigate and get back to you shortly.
mikeday
This looks like something we can do, but it will need to wait until we finish the features we are currently working on.
Chella
Okay Thanks Mike!

One more clarification, there is option to validate the pdf by producing job option information like, what should be pdf(image) dpi quality, which fonts are to be embedded. I have attached sample input for that. Currently we are providing those information using adobe distiller tool. Can we do this job option in prince xml package. If yes give me sample code or else can you take it up this as a development request this also?

Thanks & Regards,
Chella|TNQ Technologies
+91 98 84 504995

1. test.joboptions13.8 kB
    Job Option sample
mikeday
No, Prince supports some PDF profiles, but not this job options format. It is unlikely we will have time to implement it this year, so I would suggest checking back next year.
Chella
Okay thank you!!! mike

Thanks & Regards,
Chella|TNQ Technologies
+91 98 84 504995

Chella
Hi Mike,

What is the prince xml pdf version?
We would to like create pdf in 1.7 version. But, right now pdf property shows version1.4. is this is current version or shall I choose/install different version to achieve?

Thanks & Regards,
Chella|TNQ Technologies
+91 98 84 504995

mikeday
The PDF version is determined by which features you use, and normally lower is better as it means it will be compatible with more PDF tools. Most PDFs are 1.4, but 16-bit images require 1.5, and some values for the page properties require 1.6 or 1.7.
jimbrooking
Mike,

I would like to use the tool "PDF Split and Merge" (PDFSAM) to break a PRINCE-generates PDF file into parts. PDFSAM needs a PDF version of 1.5 or greater. Is there a way to force a minimum PDF version to be output by Prince? Ir are you aware of a different FOSS tool I could use to break apart a V-1.4 PDF file>

Thanks.
mikeday
How strange, normally tools have maximum version requirements, not minimum version requirements!

The only way to force Prince to use a higher PDF version is by using a feature that requires it, such as:

- including a 16-bit color depth image
- disabling print scaling
- specifying a non-default paper tray
- changing the PDF page mode to show-attachments

We will take a look at PDFsam and see why it has this requirement.
jimbrooking
Mike,

I installed Ghostscript and Ghostview, and I can print selected pages from Ghostview to PDF, so please don't bother with PDFSAM. It's sort of a strange product anyway and I don't use most of its features.

Sorry to bother...

Jim

Edited by jimbrooking

mikeday
Okay great; our investigation suggested that it could read PDF 1.4 without any problems.
mikeday
By the way, the latest build of Prince has a new --pdf-xmp option which can be used to include additional XMP metadata in the PDF.