Forum How do I...?

some greek characters not being displayed

ixgal
hi,
I am working with a book that has expressions in greek. They work OK in the PDF, except for some specific characters. For example, with the word οὐσία. On the PDF I get ο?σία (the second character, which carries a special accent, gets broken).
What solution would you suggest?
thanks!
mikeday
You may need to try a different font, such as the SIL Gentium font, which has the glyphs you need.
ixgal
hi Mike, thanks. Actually, the words in Greek appear in paragraphs with text in English, for example:

"The importance of the concept of οὐσία in Plato..."

Should I declare a different font-family (like SIL Gentium font) for all the cases of the words in Greek and keep the standard font-family for the rest of the words in English? This could be very complicated, since there are lots of words in Greek in the HTML.

And also, when I see the web version of the text, using for example Crimson font, the words in Greek appear OK (thus the font contains that special character), but it gets broken in the conversion to PDF.

Any tip?
thanks again
mikeday
I don't think Crimson actually supports Greek, so the browser is probably substituting a different font for those characters. If you specify "font-family: Crimson, Gentium" then it should use Crimson for all the Latin text, and Gentium for the Greek.
ixgal
the SIL Gentium font is working fine with these Greek characters.
However, I am facing some problems with line-height. Please see the image attached.
I guess the difference in line-height comes because the SIL Gentium font has a different size compared to the serif font?
Just in case, I am using:
p {line-height: 1.2em;}

Is there a way to have the same line-height for all the paragraphs, regardless of the font-family?
thanks
  1. line-height.png68.0 kB
mikeday
I think applying "line-stacking-strategy: block-line-height" to the paragraph should do the trick.