Forum Bugs

The font Arial,Bold is missing.

MartinN
When opening a PDF, created from an SVG using Prince, in Adobe Illustrator CS5 I get the message:
"The font Arial,Bold is missing."

Does Prince create its own font called "Arial,Bold" and embeds it in the PDF?

Just viewing the PDF is no problem since the font is embedded, but my customer also sometimes need to edit the PDF before sending it to the plotter.

The problem can be recreated using this SVG:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<svg width="100mm" height="50mm" version="1.1" viewBox="-10 -10 90 40" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
<rect width="38" height="12.5" rx="1" ry="1" stroke="#BBBBBB" stroke-width="0.5" fill="#00A94F"/>
<g transform="translate(7, 7.9)" ><text style=" font-family: Arial; font-size: 5px; fill: #FFFFFF; font-weight: bold;">Some text</text></g>
</svg>

I created the SVG using the command line below:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Prince\engine\bin\prince.exe" "C:\Test\ArialBoldExample.svg" -o "C:\Test\ArialBoldExample.pdf" --page-size="100mm 50mm" --page-margin=0
  1. ArialBoldExample.pdf14.3 kB
    PDF file with the font Arial,Bold
mikeday
If you are going to edit the PDF, I would suggest running Prince with --no-subset-fonts to embed the entire Arial font, not just the glyphs that you have used.
MartinN
Thanks for the quick reply.
I've tested your suggestion, but I'm afraid it yields the same result "The font Arial,Bold is missing."
  1. ArialBold_NoSubsetFonts.pdf477.4 kB
    PDF file created with --no-subset-fonts
mikeday
That is strange, as the entire font is embedded in the file. I'm not sure why Illustrator would complain about this, as I can edit the text of the PDF in Acrobat without any problems at all.
MartinN
Yes, it works to edit the texts in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC also on my computer. I will test with the last Illustrator CC version on another computer and let you know.
MartinN
It's the same problem in Illustrator CC 2015.1.0 release. The text in the PDF file is coded as "Arial,Bold" which it seems Illustrator can't use even when the entire font is embeded in the file.

But why doesn't the PDF reference the standard "Arial Bold" which is an available system font?
See attached screen shot.
  1. ReplaceMissingFont.png39.0 kB
    Replace "Arial,Bold" with "Arial Bold".

Edited by MartinN

mikeday
Can you attach a PDF file with Arial that can be edited in Illustrator? Then we can compare.
MartinN
The attached file has been updated in Illustrator where I replaced "Arial,Bold" with "Arial Bold" in the dialog for replacing missing fonts.

It seems like the font that Illustrator replaced with is Arial-BoldMT.
  1. ArialBold_UpdatedInIllustrator.pdf66.5 kB
    Updated PDF file

Edited by MartinN

mikeday
Perhaps it is using the PostScript name instead of the TrueType name. That's frustrating, as we are specifically following Adobe's guidance on how to embed TrueType fonts in PDF files, and which name to use. We will investigate this issue and see if we should make changes to Prince.
Jeya
I have prince package in ubuntu 14.04. try to change the font family : arial / other font family.This changes not occur in prince created PDF document.

My code like this
@font-face{
font-family: arial;
src: url(/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf);
}

How to use all font families in prince PDF
mikeday
Do you have the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package installed? If you do, then you will not need the @font-face rule, as Prince will detect Arial automatically using Fontconfig. You can run fc-list to see all the available fonts on the system, eg. "fc-list | grep Arial"