Forum How do I...?

Korean characters

spjonez
Hi I'm trying to figure out why a PDF created using Korean characters outputs all question marks. On my local install (OSX) it works but on our server (CentOS 6.7) all I see is ???. I'm assuming I'm missing fonts? I tried yum groupinstall "Korean Support" but that didn't seem to fix it.
mikeday
Perhaps Korean fonts on CentOS have a different package name, I will check this and get back to you.
mikeday
It appears that we do not currently list Korean fonts in /usr/lib/prince/style/fonts.css. You can fix this by adding a @font-face rule like this:
@font-face {
    font-family: serif;
    src: prince-lookup("UnBatang")
}

This will tell Prince to fallback to the UnBatang font when glyphs cannot be found in other fonts. We will update fonts.css to include rules for Korean fonts in a future release of Prince, sorry for the inconvenience.
spjonez
Thanks! Got it to work but I had to modify it to this (Prince v9);

@font-face {
    src: local("UnBatang")
}

Edited by spjonez

mikeday
We've updated the default font style sheet in Prince 11 to include Korean font families.
jlei
Hi I have a similar issue where it doesn't work locally. I've checked /usr/lib/prince/style/fonts.css and see that it has
@font-face {
    src: prince-lookup("AppleMyungjo") /* Korean */
}

And I checked in Font Book to see this is enabled, but when I create the Prince PDF I just get ?s everywhere. I have v11.
mikeday
If you run Prince on your document with the --debug option it should print a long list of enumerated font families to the console, does AppleMyungjo show up there?