Forum How do I...?

Unicode character in Linux works locally and on DocRaptor, not on server

CayceBalara
Hey there -

I've been using DocRaptor for a couple of years for my PDF generation needs in a Ruby on Rails web app, but recently purchased a Prince license and migrated my code to use it to do my PDF generation locally through the Princely gem. All is going well, with one tiny wrinkle.

I'm using unicode &#10004 / &#x2714 (heavy check mark) in a couple of places. This worked in my DocRaptor implementation. On my local development machine, which is Ubuntu 14.04 it works also. On my web/app server, which is Ubuntu 12.04, I get the missing glyph question mark in my output.

Wondering if you might know what library or font or whatever "thing" that is installed locally in 14.04 and at DR that results in correct production of that character, but which is missing on my 12.04 server?

Thanks.

[edit]

I did a comparison of fonts between the servers and they were essentially the same, though there was a difference. Working local had "dejavu" and server had "ttf-dejavu". For grins, I wrapped the unicode entity in a span with css for "font-family: Dejavu sans, sans-serif;" and that seems to have solved the issue.
mikeday
Prince will normally try Arial first, then DejaVu Sans, then Liberation Sans. If one of the servers has Arial and the other does not, that may prevent DejaVu Sans being used in that case.