Forum How do I...?

a question about interactive use

dglane
For the desktop license, the description reads: "Desktop Licenses allow the interactive use of Prince on a single computer by a single user."

I am looking to purchase a desktop license. My hope is that I can execute the process (i.e. build a PDF from XML and CSS) via a command prompt so I can incorporate that into a larger automated process. I would tend to interpret the word "interactive" as not being able to run the build from a command prompt. Please explain the reality.

Thanks.
mikeday
If it's automated, and you are not invoking it yourself, then it's generally not interactive, and forms part of a server system.
dglane
So can I build a PDF with Prince software from a command prompt (e.g. within a BAT file)?

As a similar example, many years ago I built PDFs from XSL-FO and XML using FOP.

As another example outside of this domain, WinZip is interactive but with some versions one can also execute it from the command prompt (e.g. in BAT files).

Thanks.

Edited by dglane

mikeday
Yes, you can still run it from the command prompt or batch file.
dglane
mikeday, whew! Thanks. I am so relieved to hear that. Apologies if I didn't ask my question clearly.