Forum How do I...?

Unwanted elements in running header

David
Novice at Prince, evaluating it at the moment, so your patience is appreciated.

I've been able to produce a dynamic running head using string-set. Works well, copying the content of the <frenchtitle> tag into the header. The same element is used for the title of the document in the body of the page.

However, some of the titles have child elements (for index purposes). Example:

<frenchtitle>Orange amère (épicarpe&hs;et&hs;mésocarpe&hs;d')<indexentry><primary>Épicarpe et mésocarpe d'orange amère</primary></indexentry><indexentry><primary>Mésocarpe et épicarpe d'orange amère</primary></indexentry></frenchtitle>

I am able to prevent the content of the <indexentry> tags from showing in the body of the page by using CSS. However, it still shows up in the header.

For my present purposes I have to treat the XML as untouchable. Any necessary manipulations have to be managed by Prince at composition time.

Is there a way to prevent the <indexentry> from appearing in the running header?
mikeday
I think this may require some JavaScript execution, eg. to copy only the text you want into an attribute of frenchtitle that can then be picked up by string-set.
David
Thanks. I'll give that some thought. Javascript is not my strong point, but there seem to be plenty of examples around.